Why and Why Not of the A7iii for ME Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
samtheman2014
samtheman2014 Senior Member • Posts: 4,571
Re: Premature to dump M43...I would WAIT for Olympus & Panasonic RESPOND

007peter wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

I've looked at the specs and watched some initial reviews. I've looked at images and studio scene. I even have some friends who use Sony A7 series. I even did camera size comparison, using the F4 Sony zooms that would be the most likely alternative to the 12-60 and 50-200 4/3 zooms I currently use with my EM1.1s. The A7iii is a compelling camera, especially for someone whose main genre is concert photography,

Yes it is. Its the most aggressive & compelling camera for $2000. Unlike Canon, Sony didn't hold back on features to protect its high end models. I admire & congratulate on Sony's aggressive stand on competition.

I still would not "switch", meaning fully replace my m4/3 gear with Sony.

I don't blame people for "wanting to switch" but I do think this is a form of Panic Buying or Panic Selling is unproductive. The smart thing is to wait & see for Panasonic / Olympus / Fuji / Canon & Nikon's response. A response will come.

Canon's seem rather confident Canon interview: 'increased competition allows us to level-up . I'm not surprised if Canon is already beta testing their Sony A7-III killer in the pipeline. I"m less confident about Nikon, but it seem like their Mirrorless answer is equally inevitable.

I have seen a lot of folk lament Nikon's future mirrorless options. However from a performance perspective { AF, FPS, speed of use etc } the Nikon 1 system cameras were excellent performers . Including some exotic features like 60fps burst shooting and so on .

The entire Camera landscape will look very differnt from today in just 6 months. I rather wait & see all the cards to make my decisions.

I think if you look at a two system set up as one kit . And do not replicate the lens selection m43 and FF can make for a great do-it all combo. Particularly if you have an interest in shallow DOF or light gathering , compared to buying multiple heavy { relatively speaking } pricey F/1.2 lenses for m43. An A7111 kit with a selection of F/1.8 primes would actually work out well

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

samtheman2014's gear list:samtheman2014's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow