Why and Why Not of the A7iii for ME Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
CharlesB58 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,790
Why and Why Not of the A7iii for ME

I've looked at the specs and watched some initial reviews. I've looked at images and studio scene. I even have some friends who use Sony A7 series.  I even did camera size comparison, using the F4 Sony zooms that would be the most likely alternative to the 12-60 and 50-200 4/3 zooms I currently use with my EM1.1s. The A7iii is a compelling camera, especially for someone whose main genre is concert photography,

But...

I still would not "switch", meaning fully replace my m4/3 gear with Sony.

I've got a good thing going with my current gear. I bought most of it used. If I were making a solid income from my photography (what I do earn is substantially less than 50% of my income) I would most assuredly invest in a couple of A7iii bodies and a stable of lenses. But as it stands, I can't justify paying nearly $4000 just for the lenses I would use, (16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 f4 lenses) even though I would see an improvement in noise levels and DR.

Also, a nice as the Sony 24-105 and 70-200 F4 lenses are reported to be, they still aren't quite the same as my 12-60 and 50-200. (Yes, I know I can crop FF and still get good resolution and lower noise).

I would need a compelling reason-or a winning lottery ticket-to justify investing in the Sony. A compelling reason would be finding out I could make more money using Sony than Olympus. That hasn't happened yet.

I'm rambling on about this just to say that as a person who loves using Olympus, and will not get rid of my m4/3 gear, I really like the A7iii. Just not enough to blow my budget to get one and the lenses I would need.  For me it's not an "either/or" proposition anyway, but a "which is better for this gig" equation. So I'm saying both systems can do a lot of good in the right hands, or not really offer much improvement in the wrong hands, and that really, any argument otherwise is IMO, missing the point.

-- hide signature --

Photography is not about the thing photographed. It is about how that thing looks photographed. Quote by Garry Winogrand
http://eyeguessphotography.com
http://livegigshots.com

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow