Wide angle lens for Pen-F. Rokinon 12mm or Panny 12-32?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: Wide angle lens for Pen-F. Rokinon 12mm or Panny 12-32?

The Kathmandu Cat wrote:

Hello!

I'm looking to get a wide angle lens (12mm and thereabouts) on a budget of around 300$ for my Pen-F. I'd like to keep the whole package small and portable. I did some research and it looks like the Rokinon 12mm prime and the Panasonic 12-32mm pancake zoom are within my budget limit and both quite popular.

I'm torn between which one of the two to get for wide landscapes. The Rokinon is a prime fixed at 12mm with very good image quality and the Panny is a very good kit lens plus its a pancake and the size is perfect on a Pen-F.

I can't decide! Suggestions?

Here is a recent thread on the Samyang/Rokinon lens, not sure if you saw it:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4261573

I commented there too so I will not repeat that here.

Like others have said, keep in mind the drawbacks of the prime: manual focus, no lens EXIF data, and relatively* large and heavy (made for APS-C). When you mention "small and portable" then IMO it's not the best choice.

What about the 9-18? Used it should be fairly affordable, although it's always a little risk that you end up with a dud. But small and seems good for "wide landscape".

*compared to the Oly 12/2 and Pana 12-32

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow