Problems importing from SD card to LightRoom on new MacBook (long winded post)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BigDG Forum Member • Posts: 78
Problems importing from SD card to LightRoom on new MacBook (long winded post)

I am having a problem importing from my SD card to 2 LR hard drives which are connected to the MacBook using a dongle and am looking for advice on how to troubleshoot or a better way to do save my picture files. This is a long involved post so I hope you can stay with me. My problem is that almost every time when copying files from the SD card (or XQD card) I get “Disk not ejected properly” messages. After my 21 day trip I had about 16100 pictures and 400 corrupted files on my hard drives.

Here is my method and setup. First the MacBook is a new 2017 12 inch with i7, 16Gb memory, and 512 Gb SSD. The dongle for the MacBook is a Kanex K181-1042 4 port charging hub with 4 USB connections and a power feed through. This dongle is supposed to be able to power portable hard drives.

Now I connect one USB cable to a portable hard drive labeled LR_primary. I connect another USB to a second portable hard drive labeled LR_Backup and LR is configured to import the pictures to the primary HD and deposit a backup copy on the other hard drive. I put the SD card (or sometimes an XQD card) into a Lexar card reader which is plugged into a third USB connector on my dongle. And the dongle is connected to the power brick and the MacBook

The SD card and both HD show up in the finder. I open LR and try to import but get Disk not ejected messages (from both hard drives and the SD card) about half way through the import. I repeat a time or 2 and get the all the files imported but later some were found to be corrupted.

Hope you have stayed with me. What to do. Am I stressing the MacBook more than it is designed to work? Is this overworking the dongle?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow