Dust inside lens of new refurb G5 X

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
needmoretoys Regular Member • Posts: 464
Dust inside lens of new refurb G5 X

I accidentally posted this in the Rebel forum yesterday. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by reposting in the correct forum.

My new refurb G5 X arrived today. So far my testing has not revealed any problems. All of the controls operate smoothly and photos look great, except for the corner softness at WA of course.

The only problem is that there is a spec of white "dust" at the bottom of one of the lens elements in the zoom group. It is about 90% of the way to the edge near the camera base of that lens element. I have taken photos of a white background at f2.8 and f11 at full WA and full tele and I can't see any hint of dust in the photos. I'm guessing that this dust spec is the reason that the camera was returned. The camera looks like a brand new out of the original box camera.

I'm inclined to just keep the camera and not consider returning it since it doesn't seem to affect the photos at all, but I'm just wondering what others would do in this situation. Would you keep it or return it? I doubt that this is the last particle of dust that will end up in there. I do have the LensMate on order, so I might keep a filter on it to perhaps keep some dust out.

needmoretoys's gear list:needmoretoys's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow