Depth of Field old SLR lens vs MFT lens

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wharfhouse Forum Member • Posts: 79
Depth of Field old SLR lens vs MFT lens

I am trying to get a definitive answer on the following and although I have done some research I am still not 100% sure about this:

- I have an old 50mm f/2 lens from my SLR days - so designed in the 1980's for a 35mm SLR

- I have a dumb adapter for this to mount it on my OM-D E-M10 Mark II

- I understand that this "doubles" to become an equivalent 100mm lens and I am also very happy with the results it can produce - it's nice and sharp

However, I am trying to understand if I use this old 50mm f/2 lens on my OM-D E-M10 Mark II what would be the equivalent of this if I were purchasing a new native mft lens? i.e. would the old 50mm f/2 perform similarly to the native Olympus 45mm f/1.8 in terms of the depth of field and speed at the same given aperture - for example particularly for DoF both at (or as close as possible) to f/2?

Although I don't do much portrait work I was considering purchasing the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 to get the shallow DoF and good bokeh but with the results being very good with the old 50mm SLR lens if I am able to get the same or close DoF with my old lens as the native mft Olympus 45mm f/1.8 would give (and with the same speed at the same aperture) the old lens would probably work for me for the small number of times I shoot portraits (as I am happy manually focusing and know how to quickly set the camera IBIS and have Fn buttons already assigned for the focus peaking and focus zoom).

Thanks

Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow