Let me start the annoying threads - A7Rii or A7iii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt2134
Matt2134 Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Let me start the annoying threads - A7Rii or A7iii?

I'm sorry as I know there will be loads of these.

I am primarily a Nikon shooter running a D850 for studio work - but I do and always have loved sony cameras, and although it makes little sense, have often run two systems.

I had an A7R and an A7Rii - and I love the images that came from the A7Rii, so sharp - but found the camera too slow to respond to be a studio replacement.  I therefore used it uch more as a travel / every day carry camera with the 35mm 2.8

I sold the A7Rii to fund the upgrade from 810 to 850, but now have £1500 to reinvest.  I want a travel cam again, so even though the speed drove me crazy, it won't be a main system

I am totally stuck - for around £1000 I could pick up an A7ii and 35mm prime (maybe even the Samyang???)

For about £1500 I could pick up a used A7Rii

Or if I save a little more I could get the A7iii

I love the high res of the R series - but honestly at travel and screen sizes, I know in reality I don't need it.  The A7ii would probably suit me fine, but could always bug me that I get none of the new features (speed) NOR any of the resolution.  Or I pay through the nose and get the better battery, handling and speed of the a7iii, even though I have no doubt the pictures I end up with will be no better than if I went for a cheaper option.

Any input?  Is the A7ii still decent / relevant?  Is it any less laggy than the A7Rii for the small file sizes?

The A7iii looks like it will be a special bit of kit...how do I tell the wife that I need (when I clearly don't) to spend the bucks on the A7iii  

Matt2134's gear list:Matt2134's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Samyang AF 14mm F2.8 FE
Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow