What Nikon Should Do

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VBLondon Contributing Member • Posts: 896
What Nikon Should Do

Thom Hogan has a couple of articles on "Nikon's To-Do List" for their next fiscal year; his views here http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-to-do-list.html

and reader feedback here: http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/your-to-dos-for-nikon.html

All good stuff. One paragraph of Thom's struck me

The funny thing is that Nikon knows how to create great products. The D5 is the best autofocusing camera available. The D850 is the best all-around camera you can currently buy. The D500 is the best crop sensor performance camera available. Even the consumer DX models are better than their competition when viewed head-to-head. The 70-200mm f/2.8E sets new standards for telephoto zooms. The 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E AF-P surprisingly isn't far behind; it certainly sets a standard for consumer telephoto zooms. Many of the recent primes—the 105mm f/1.4 comes to mind—are exceptional lenses

I couldn't agree more. But it did make me think that the most fundamental "to do" for Nikon wasn't the list of Thom's or Readers' worthy stuff like global customer outreach, fixing Snapbridge whatnot etc. Nikon is Nikon. They're always going to be quirky and Japanese and bit clueless about software.

But what they can do really really well is make new cameras and lenses (especially now the QC glitches are behind them). They just need to do more of it!

Nikon seem painfully, ponderously slow at releasing new gear. The bodies drip out at the rate of 1 a year, so much of their portfolio is old by digicam standards. The D850 is perhaps the best all-round stills camera in history. Why not refresh 4 year old models with some of that goodness? The lenses they do make are great - really, really great - but there's so few new releases that other brands get all the buzz around lenses. If they can make pro lenses like the 105/1.4 and the 70-200/2.8E then why not refresh a couple more and have the best line-up for pro FX lenses, period? I am not into long teles, but the 300/4 PF seems an amazing breakthrough - why not follow up with a couple more PF teles and achieve recognition for light compact long lenses?

All the third party lens makers seem to launch more new lenses in an afternoon at a tradeshow than Nikon does in an entire year. Brands with much less volume than Nikon all seem to launch more products in a year - Sony of course, but also Fuji and Panasonic.

Personally, I think Nikon's key to-do is just to do more of the stuff they are really good at (I guess I have to add a MILC to that). What's the forum view?

VBLondon's gear list:VBLondon's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon Df Nikon Z6
Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow