Corfe Castle and the Milky Way || Dorset, UK

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Will B Milner Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Corfe Castle and the Milky Way || Dorset, UK

I’ve been a relatively slow at releasing new images recently. So, I thought I’d share one that’s been bubbling around in my head for a while. Here is the magnificent 11th century Corfe Castle covered in snow, offset by the lights of Corfe village and the majestic milky way.

This is actually my third attempt at capturing this scene, and I couldn’t believe my luck on Monday evening when I arrived, the hills were still adorned with snow and the skies were clearing, allowing me to finally get it out of my system. I hope you like it!

Nikon D810, Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8, Fornax LT II, iOptron Polarscope, Skywatcher Equatorial Wedge, FLM Tripod and Ballhead

This is a composite of the following frames.

1x 18mm | ISO 64 | f/8 | 30sec (Foreground/Castle)
4x 18mm | ISO 64 | f/11 | 60sec (Village lights/Car trails)
1x 18mm | ISO 64 | f/16 | 180sec (Diffraction spikes on the street lights)
1x 18mm | ISO 800 | f/8 | 30sec (Not included in the final image and was only used as a reference for the light pollution dome)
21 x 18mm | ISO 400 | f/4 | 180sec | 5500K (Milky Way Light Frames)
20 x ISO 64 | 1/8000th | 5500K (BIAS Offset Frames)
8 x ISO 400 | 180sec | 5500K (Dark Offset Frames)

The Milky Way was calibrated, stacked and arcsine stretched in PixInsight. The foreground elements were captured in blue hour and RAW corrected in Lightroom. The whole lot was then squirted into Photoshop and blended together.

Many thanks,

Will

Will B Milner's gear list:Will B Milner's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow