On terminology: "Total Light"

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 40,694
On terminology: "Total Light"

It's been said by someone (I don't want to name names, but the initials are "Bob"  ) that they weren't fond of the term "total light" to represent the total amount of [visible] light projected on the sensor.  Instead, this unnamed person prefers "luminous energy" since exposure is defined as the luminous energy density that is projected on the sensor.

My objection to the using the term "Luminous Energy" instead of "Total Light" is twofold:

1. I feel it's "overly pedantic" to the crowd I'm often discussing with (although "discussing" is often far from the right word, unfortunately).  Similarly, I don't use the term "entrance pupil"; rather, I always refer to the "diameter of the effective aperture", since I feel it's more intuitive language.
  2. A "blue" photon has twice the energy as a "red" photon.  Thus, a billion "blue" photons projected on the sensor will have twice the luminous energy as a billion "red" photons.  However, when computing noise, we go by the photon count, not the energy.

I understand that my first point will meet a lot of resistance here -- understood.  But I'd like to focus on the second point first.  In the world of digital photography, if we took a photo of a monochromatic "red" scene and a monochromatic "blue" scene, then, for a given camera, lens, and settings, how would the exposures compare if the same amount of luminous energy was projected on the sensor for "red" and "blue" scenes vs the same number of photons were projected on the sensor for the "red" and "blue" scenes?

OK -- please don't hold back on scolding me.  If there's a better way for me to communicate what I want to say to a non-technical crowd, I'm all ears.  I'm thinking many will be of the opinion that the best course is to explain all the technical terms first and then use the appropriate terms, but I'm of the opinion that this is not the best course, since a non-technical audience will be bogged down by alien and unintuitive language.

Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow