Printer profiles- sending photos to a print lab

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mare_333 Forum Member • Posts: 60
Printer profiles- sending photos to a print lab

Hello, Marianne here with a question. I am trying to print my photos for the first time. I am planning to send them to an outside printing lab. I have calibrated my monitor so that part is taken care of. However, I am not sure how to prepare my photos for printing i.e. what to do with printer profile. I researched the issue online, but didn't find much on the subject. So here is what I understand - We get the printer (and paper) profile from the printing lab and install it on our computer. The next step is to soft proof in Photoshop using the printer profile. So this much I understand no problem. However, from what I read online it also implies that AFTER editing (with the help of soft proofing) we then ACTUALLY CONVERT our working file (which is in Adobe RGB in my case) to the printer profile using Edit/Convert to profile in Photoshop. We go to Edit/Convert to profile and in the "destination" dropdown menu we pick our printer profile.  We check the box black point compensation (if needed) and pick the rendering intent (usually perceptual or relative colorimetric). Then we save the file as TIFF and we are ready to send it to the printing lab. Are there steps in the process that I am missing? Is there anything else involved?  One article said when saving the final TIFF file make sure to embed the profile into this file - I am not sure what it is referring to so a little confused on that point. Another thing is that the video that I got the above information from was talking about the printing lab using a PRINTING PRESS to print, but what about if the printing lab uses inkjet printer just like the ones used to print at home, or what if the lab is using some other printing technique other that a PRINTING PRESS will the process of preparing the photo for printing on my end then be different than what I described above? I see there are many seasoned photographers on this forum, who I am sure printed many times so I hope you can help me out with this. Thank you very much,

Marianne

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow