SPP Reverse Compatibility

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 12,421
SPP Reverse Compatibility

With the advent of the Quattro and SPP6, we learned that Merrill files opened and saved from SPP6 could no longer be opened in SPP5.

Today, with all my Merrills sold, I decided to go from SPP 5.5.3 back to SPP 4.2 ... but recently I've been using 5.5.3 for everything. And so it is that ALL my SD15 X3Fs crash SPP 4.2. On the other hand, a much older DP1s shots did not.

Elementary, my dear Watson:

SPP5 and previous versions come with a text file 'english.txt' in the root folder for each version. In the one for SPP5, I discovered this little jewel:

"If you use this feature, this X3F file cannot be opened by SIGMA Photo Pro 5.4.1 or earlier version. Do you want continue?"

So, I'm stuck with 5.5.3 for my recently used but older cameras. BTW, I never saw that warning when editing recent SD15 files in SPP5 - so thanks for that, Sigma.

The only faintly bright light is that 5.5.3 has a folder 'lens profiles' and 4.2 does not. One lives in hope that those profiles are used for pre-Merrill shot. I'd bet a pound to a pinch of you-know-what that they are not ...

... but I got you fooled, Sigma, because RawTherapee can access them all.

I can understand that struggling with all the hurdles that Sigma/Foveon place in our path causes some people to sell up and take a hard right or left into CaNikon or Sonji territory!

-- hide signature --

Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +14 more
Sigma DP1s Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow