21mm SEM on Leica SL

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,450
21mm SEM on Leica SL

So, I know this post will likely result in the 'post some pics' replies but I'm not going to do that, mostly because I'm lazy and don't feel like it:)  Anyway, I sold my M240 a while back and bought the SL.  The reason being that I like to shoot wide angle lenses and the EVF on the SL is a better solution for that.  Also, my eyes aren't what they used to be and I find it easier to shoot fast lenses on the SL then focus with a rangefinder.

At any rate, I understood going into it that the SL wouldn't perform as well as an M240/M10 using M lenses because the sensor doesn't have the offset microlenses.  However, I knew from a lot of reading that the SL would still perform far better then any of the Sony A7 bodies.

So to get to my point...I'm disappointed in the performance of the 21mm SEM on the SL.  On my M240 this was perhaps the sharpest WA lens I had ever shot...it was superlative.  On the SL it's just a little...soft.  The sharp bite to the images just isn't there.  It's now just an ordinary lens...an ordinary, slow 21mm lens that sells for  $2900.

I wish Leica would release a new M body optimized for rangefinder glass with no rangefinder...just a top shelf EVF.  Am I alone???

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH +3 more
Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow