How Do I Negotiate on Price With a Nikon Dealer? How much dealer markup is on a D610 or D750?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noflashplease Senior Member • Posts: 2,490
How Do I Negotiate on Price With a Nikon Dealer? How much dealer markup is on a D610 or D750?

Right now, I'm puzzled by Nikon's lack of promotion and aging mainstream FX product line.  Looking back, both AAFES and Best Buy both sold the D610/28-300mm kit for $1,500, as compared to an original MSRP of $3000 and current fixed selling price of $2,500.  That's a $1,000 of leeway in pricing.  Similarly, before Newegg, once sold the D610 for less than $1,000 on promotion, which would suggest a dealer profit margin of at least $500 on the D610 body.  Is there really a $500 profit margin on a D610 body or up to a $1,000 margin on a kit?

I know that Nikon USA engages in mandatory minimum pricing...blah...blah...blah!  So what?  We all know that the price fixing is bunk and that G-r-e-e-ntoe exists.  The reality is that Sony is selling the original A7 for $800, Canon is selling the original 6D for $999 and Nikon is still flogging the D610 for $1,500.  Almost twice as much as the Sony and 50% more than the Canon?  What's Nikon's pricing strategy?

So, what strategies can be employed with independent dealers?  Just what do dealers pay for their inventory?  Help me negotiate.  I haven't tried G-r-e-e-ntoe yet because I'm uncomfortable authorizing payment before even making an offer.  I'm inclined to try the last couple of local Nikon dealers as well as contacting some major regionals.

I'm just not willing to pay an outrageous $1,500 MSRP for a camera body from 2013 (or 2012 with the D600) and I have no idea when Nikon will clearance the D610.

Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow