XPLOR 600 modeling LED's kept shutting off

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
flatpicknut
flatpicknut Contributing Member • Posts: 626
XPLOR 600 modeling LED's kept shutting off

I was using two XPLOR 600's for a couple of child sessions Sunday morning (1 yr-old and 2 yr-old sisters, then a 14 month girl) and toward the end of the first session the LED light on one strobe shut off. I tried turning off and on from the transmitter, then went directly to the strobe to try to turn the modeling light on. No luck. Finally, I turned the strobe itself off and back on. Again no modeling light. I wondered about taking a break and changing out with my backup light, but I decided not to interrupt the session. The modeling lights are nice but weren't essential at that point - I wasn't shooting closeups. The lights themselves performed fine.

The modeling light eventually came back on, but it and the other modeling light both had periods when they'd turn off during the rest of that session and into the next session.

I did notice that the metal Bowens mount was pretty warm, so maybe the unit was overheating. I was surprised that overheating would ever be an issue with a 6W LED, lol.

By the way, the sessions lasted about 3-1/2 hours total. I had the lights set at about 1/4 and 1/8 power. I shot about 500 images. (Yes, I take a lot of pics when active toddlers are involved!) Sessions were indoors and the room large was not noticeably too warm or cold.

-- hide signature --

Doug Brock

flatpicknut's gear list:flatpicknut's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow