Alaska trip, suggestions

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
azazel1024 Senior Member • Posts: 1,139
Alaska trip, suggestions

I am headed to Alaska this August for a trip with my extended family. Mostly Kenai peninsula. Suggestions on what photo equipment I need? There will be glacier walks, climbs, whale watching and a lot of scenic hikes and driving.

Right now my gear is an EM-5 II, Olympus 12/2, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, Panasonic 25/1.4, Sigma 60/2.8 and I just picked up an Olympus 40-150/2.8 for the trip (once it shows up. Really excited about it!). Well, the 40-150 is for the trip, but also sports with my kids doing swimming and basketball.

Am I best off leaving most of the primes at home and getting something like a Panasonic 12-35/2.8 as a more walk around lens and lean on the two zooms? Maybe with the 17/.8 or 25/1.4 as the only fast prime?

I generally don't like zooms, but I also recognize they have their place.

I'd rather get something on the ultra wide end, but doing image stitching may be a fine option. I just need to work on that some over the next couple of months to make sure I am comfortable with that.

My budget is "whatever". I'd prefer not to spend any more, but also a once in the next 20 or 30 years kind of trip. Figure $400-700 if really need a walk around zoom or ultra wide angle lens for the trip (definitely can't budget both).

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow