The Wetlands: Turtle, Frog, Birds & BIFs

Started 9 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 30,322
The Wetlands: Turtle, Frog, Birds & BIFs

Picking up from the last thread with all the flying great egrets and other white friends, and picking up on the following weekend with the shots below taken on February 17th, I'm back to scattering in some standing, wading, and fishing birds with a few BIFs as well, plus a few of the other wetlands animals I encountered on an afternoon walk.

The first shots are from Green Cay Wetlands, and the rest from Wakodahatchee Wetlands.  All shots taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm lens combo, and posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

Missed Valentine's day by 3 days with this baby turtle on a heart-shaped leaf...though I'm not sure what strange message of love that brings - an algae-covered baby turtle half-submerged on a swamp leaf!  Still - it was cute.

A green heron wading through the water plants along the shallow shore

A female red-winged blackbird sitting up in the trees, getting some sun

Yellow-bellied sapsucker, doing what he's named for - drilling holes and sucking sap!

A young pig frog - with his head above the water, but an unusual clear patch in the swamp waters letting me see his body under the surface

Pretty male anhinga all gussied up in mating colors and sitting on a dead tree

This thread isn't the white flight thread, but in the wetlands this time of year, you can't get away from white birds flying!  Another great egret heading back to the nest with a stick

This great egret was showing up the competition, with a much heartier and thicker branch

Off in the backlit distance and under the shade of the trees, this great blue heron has a 'regular' fishing spot, and every time I visit this location, I see him score a nice fat fish and bring it back to shore to eat

Great egret posing for the photographer - wings spread out, and head turned to show his best side

From my last thread, you know I like turbulence shots - sometimes when shooting a landing bird to catch the feather disturbance, you also can get some strange looking poses, like this cattle egret about to drop down and looking like some kind of Dracula impersonation

A great blue heron passing overhead with a small stick

Another low-flying great egret just off the water

For a very small window of about 2 weeks, snowy egrets lose their familiar white, black, and yellow colors - converting their yellow bits to a blood-orange color as they mate...along with all the extra whispy feathers for display

One more look at the snowy in his orange mating colors

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow