How did Sigma do it ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ken60 Regular Member • Posts: 312
How did Sigma do it ?

Spent time yesterday at a photo show here in the UK.  Whilst there popped over to the Sigma stand and tried a few frames with the new 14mm f1.8 and 14mm - 24mm f2.8 lenses.  Seemed great , perhaps a little heavier than I am used to with huge front ends ... but looked sharp and bright. When I returned home today downloaded the images knowing that I did not have the profiles to correct these new lenses .......damn !

Then to my pleasure I noted that besides a bit of vignette adjustment there was little else needed !  How they managed to create two lenses that have damn near no noticeable chroma error when shot wide open on my 5DSR , I do not know.  The zoom seems to be close to its claim of "0" distortion with my old eyes suggesting a slight ... minimal .... tiny ... slide to remove its outward bulge ( god I wish I could do that to me too !)        My thanks to Don Spencer for allowing me to play with the new toys, .....they seem a nice crowd of guys over there, after reading the article on their top man it seems this attitude flows down.

I have to say that this attitude of support staff at the imaging show is quite a varied experience, notably Sony, Sigma, Epson, Thinktank  and dare I say Samyang seemed to have this well sorted with happy helpful knowledgeable support at hand.

Popped over to Canon for a lens trial and made mention of one of my little gripes about IS remaining on when tripod mounted. Suggested perhaps a sensor in the grip of the camera to tell if the unit was hand held or free standing , thus every time I let go , either to rest on a flat surface or tripod mount , the IS would turn off. Suggestions seemed to be met with the attitude of " don't be silly ..mother knows best "  It wont work , we ....... " almost before even considering the idea. This is from a kid not even 100,000 yards from the design core.

So , in my true and bombastic form here is a suggestion for those presiding over the seat of knowledge and corporate power at these events........

Have a pad of suggestion slips on the counter and take the ideas down to forward on , yes all of them. It does two things , one it makes you seem more listening and rewards your customer loyalty if nothing else.......... Two, you never know , one day of the tons of  bits of paper you might just stumble across an idea that sets you apart from the growing pack biting at your heels.

Last notable residual from the days playing .... I miss the ability to focus on my screen . I loved the old focusing screens on my A1 , F1n , EOS 1  etc film cameras. Damn my screen in the 5DSR will tell me the time in Hong Kong and the weather in Bali .... but it wont let me FOCUS !

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow