Know others who buys a real camera and seldom uses it?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Raymond Cho Senior Member • Posts: 1,400
Know others who buys a real camera and seldom uses it?

I know a good couple of them.  Mainly to use with friends and family, kids etc.  They buy a digital SLR with the kit lens and the kit telephoto lens and seldom uses it.  Maybe a 18-200mm or something cos it is so convenient.  They are price sensitive.  You tell them what is a better lens but they prefer versatility.  Some of them leave them in the wardrobe and doesn't wanna sell it and take a loss and just use their iPhones.  Other seem to take them out once a year or something like Christmas, others don't even do that.   The one that left it in his wardrobe still continuously ask me what is a more portable camera but just as good, how's that Sony A7r3 or that cheaper A7r2 they know a friend that has that etc etc .. then they don't like the weight of body and the lenses.  How about a large sensor compact but they don't think it is professional enough.  I just tell them, if they genuinely enjoy photography go for it .... but if they are just online snapshots maybe not.

One time they asked me to use it so I thought RAW would be better but the memory didn't have enough space.  It has a good few years of photographs on the card, and it was set to capture small JPEG.

One of them thought buying  something like a Nikon D850 or a Canon 5D Mark IV would provide sharper images printed 6x4 or 5x7 over an older dSLR.

Raymond Cho's gear list:Raymond Cho's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D70 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +12 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow