Beginners Software Advice?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ericpradhan18 New Member • Posts: 8
Beginners Software Advice?

Hi guys,

Photography's been a hobby of mine for about 2 years or so and as of late I've been thinking about upgrading from the basics of Apple Photos to something a bit more capable. Problem is, I'm a bit lost. After asking a few friends who have been shooting a lot longer than me, the general consensus seems to be to go for Lightroom. I've tried the trial mobile app and it was pretty user friendly and seemed easy enough to learn. However, another friend recommended GIMP and Rawtherapee, particularly Rawtherapee as in his opinion, it has the best batch processing feature and the ability to save picture presets and apply it to all photos. I'm assuming this is the same as presets in Lightroom but not entirely sure. Also, obviously, they're both free. So I guess the questions I want to ask are:

1. Would you say the learning curves of GIMP and/or Rawtherapee are worth putting the effort into as I'd be saving approx. £110 on purchasing Lightroom? Storage isn't that much of an issue right now as I've got about 500GB of a 1TB hard drive dedicated solely to photography.
  2. What are the differences between Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC?
  3. What would YOU say are the benefits of buying the monthly cloud membership versions in comparison to just buying the software outright (if this is even possible anymore)?
  4. If I were to go for Lightroom, how long and difficult is it to transfer all my photos from my Apple Photos library to both the online cloud and the offline versions?

I currently run a 2011 MacBook pro with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16GB RAM.

Sorry about sounding a bit noobish, life's been really busy lately and I haven't had the chance to read through many long articles about different softwares let alone try them. I may have some more follow up questions depending on your replies, thanks in advance!

ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow