Where have all the Oystercatchers gone?

Started 9 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 5,623
Where have all the Oystercatchers gone?

For the past 10 years on March 15th, the american oystercatchers return to Nickerson Beach on Long Island, NY and begin there amazing mating rituals both singing and dancing. I'm certain this goes back much longer, that's how long I've been going since learning about the wonderful sights and sounds. I made my first visit this season today and was amazed by the silence on the beach. Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to find the birds,this year I was still looking an hour after arriving and still heard noting. Then in the distance I heard and then spotted an oystercatcher. Next two and eventually three. There are usually 60 to 100 of them on the beach. This was quite concerning to me and I wondered if there migration has been slowed by the three north easters we have hand or if the hurricanes this past season decimated the population.

Being that I had to wait to see the oystercatchers, you will as well. The first birds I spotted at Nickerson Beach were loons.

And that was the last I saw of the loon today.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow