Learning the PL200 f2.8

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 1,658
Learning the PL200 f2.8

My much better half and I have about a month of hibernation left until we will be going back to work in our woods. In the meantime I have been itching to learn the 200 f2.8 and so have recently walked  3 local Nature Conservatives, in between a snow storm or two. Snow doesn't last this time of year, the ice is off the channels and though looking pretty rotten still closes up some of the still ponds. Highs in the 40's F. and lows in the 20's mean its maple syrup gathering time for those with mature trees. Having personally planted all those in our woods, none are quite big enough to tap, but I may yet get to tap one before I kick the bucket.

But, I digress. It's still early, so not a lot of wildlife and none that were close enough for extreme detail but here is what I have so far and a few other non-wildlife shots along with some comments. All from Raw/LR. As usual click Original Size for a hopefully better view.

First is a severe crop of my favorite little back yard bird, the Black Capped Chickadee. TC1.4 at f4. Considering how far I cropped in I am pleased.  I don't normally take feeder shots but it is my favorite bird.  

This Mallard was slightly cropped, TC1.4 at F4. This was quite dark, I had to lift the shadows considerably just to get some color in Daffy's head. Nicely sharp head though.

Canada geese, TC1.4 at F4 cropped about 50%.

This Tom didn't spook too quickly so I managed to experiment a bit. About 40' distant so at 200mm f6.3 got him all in focus, or close enough. Roughly 28" DOF.

OK, I was bored with lack of wildlife. This jet was barely visible in front of the contrails. I snapped off 2 at 200mm F4. This result is a very heavy crop - I kind of like it.. Interestingly, I took 2 shots and both snapped immediately into focus. I was using the smallest single box (SAF) as I did for all of these shots.

A praire plant of some sort (need a little help here), 200mm F4

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +4 more
Samsung PL200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow