Sigma will release new APS-C lens this fall, will make more APS-C lenses "if response is good."

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,563
Re: Sigma will release new APS-C lens this fall, will make more APS-C lenses "if response is good."

scottzee wrote:

"We’re going to release another APS-C lens for Sony E-mount this year, probably around Photokina. We need to see what the response from customers is like. If it’s good, we’ll continue development."

The lens they're planning to release is allegedly a 50mm f/1.4.

Good luck with good response from customers ... I would hope Sigma would be smart enough to not expect lots of APS-C users to rush out to buy a 75mm equivalent when (a) it's not all that popular to begin with and (b) we've had alternatives for years.

This might be the perfect lens for some people ... but I can't believe that it's going to be nearly indicative of pent up demand for other APS-C lenses.  I know it's a SAR rumor, so may or may not be true, but if that's what Sigma chose to spend their resources on, I just lost some respect for them.

(FWIW, I already own the 30/1.4 and 60/2.8).

- Dennis
--
Gallery at http://kingofthebeasts.smugmug.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow