Are Superzooms so Bad? Post Your Own Pics if You Have Some.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brev00
Brev00 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,063
Are Superzooms so Bad? Post Your Own Pics if You Have Some.

Superzooms are routinely dismissed as unsatisfactory options for a reasonably ambitious photographer. That point of view may be entirely valid as my standards may just be lower than average. But, I still use my 13 year old Tamron 28-300 (xr di if--before the vc models were made) particularly when traveling and photography is not my top priority. Sometimes, I just can't see bringing the backpack necessary to transport more lenses as a hassle when flying. It is my lightest and smallest lens except for my 50 1.8D. It was my only lens when I bought my first dslr (Nikon D90) as I used it on my Nikon film camera previously. I sometimes use it paired with a wide angle lens though this is not so important now that I have a full frame camera. I did use it as a backup to my dx midrange which came in handy during a trip to Hawaii when the midrange broke down. I did have it cleaned and adjusted by Tamron when I got the D610 in hopes it would operate well enough to replace my dx midrange. Save me some money as I added a couple more primes to my kit.

Four pics from my recent trip to the east coast to visit my parents for your perusal. If you use a superzoom of any brand, please post a few examples of you own.

From the Philly side of the Delaware River:

Two shots of the bridge between New Hope, PA and Lambertville, NJ at another spot along the Delaware River:

As you can see, I do try to keep the lens at f8. Or smaller. Shooting from the New Jersey side of the bridge towards New Hope at f14:

It is better from these sorts of focal lengths (28-105 are best).

Comments are welcome.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow