A6300 + 18-200mm LE What am i doing wrong?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
seuadr Regular Member • Posts: 378
A6300 + 18-200mm LE What am i doing wrong?

I've been trying to capture big birds with my alpha 6 series cameras (first a6000, now a6300) and feel like i am not quite "getting it" i'm not sure if i have unreasonable expectations or am doing something (or various things) wrong - the majority of these shots were in shutter priority with a minimum 1/500 (too slow?) on a bright bright sunny day with the Sony SEL18-200LE (i know this isn't known as the sharpest lens ever, but i am skeptical that this is all lens..)

i was in multi spot metering (should i be considering single spot metering for better metering of the subject and not worry about the background?) with small flex spot focus AF-A. I didn't have an exposure comp as it seemed OK being a really bright clear sunny day.

thoughts? comments on improvements (other than get a longer lens :D) This was all hand held - i don't think a tripod or monopod would've made any real difference - do you disagree?

I am trying to talk myself into the sigma 150-600 C adapted to the A6300 instead of to jumping over to the RX10IV - i picked this a6300 up for less than a song (it has some issues, i just wanted to see how it would perform compared to the a6000 focus wise - and i am pretty satisfied from that standpoint) mainly because i love this form factor and partially because i just can't make the streach to an RX10iv right now, but i could make a used sigma/adapter's price work.

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 250 @ 200mm - attempted to lock on the far goose's eye Seems a little fuzzy when you look at it close up.. unreasonable expectation or should i have selected different settings?

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 160 @ 200mm - i think the main problem with this one was shutter speed was too slow - thoughts?

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 200 @ 200mm - some of the detail in this one is pretty nice, but the feather detail is not so good - shutter speed higher again?

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 160 @ 200mm - the foreground in this is sharp, i think of think this is a combo of slow shutter speed and missed focus?

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 160 @ 200mm - this was shot from about 10 feet. I expected a bit more detail - i think i hit focus right around the beak/neck.

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 160 @ 200mm - i think i hit this focus right on the beak (i'm fairly satisfied with this one) this was also from like 10 feet away

F/6.3 1/500 sec ISO 160 @ 200mm - i think i hit this focus right on (also satisfied with this one)

seuadr's gear list:seuadr's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a6500 Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony a6000 Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow