Probably a little blasphemous but...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cchen2
cchen2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,174
Probably a little blasphemous but...

So I'm out and about this weekend with my pregnant wife exploring the city of Columbus. So of course, I take my a6300 and bag of lenses. I also took my new Google Pixel that I bought used for $320 the other day, and hacked its software with the camera app of the newest, more expensive Pixel 2. (primarily allowing me to shoot bokeh approximate pictures without any fancy camera movements)

Wow. I've got to say, for a camera phone, the Pixel really punches above it's weight class. I found myself using it more and more through out the day. Shooting at about an 18 mm equivalent was very comfortable. The camera's auto HDR+ mode was fantastic and most of the time produced better with posed high dynamic range pics without shadowing that I could tell and was more eye pleasing than my own APSc camera. Now, I'm shooting Raw and haven't gotten home to massage my raws yet, but even if massaging, most of my Raws don't look as good as the straight up Pixel jogs.  12 mp isn't a ton but good enough for printing at the sizes which I rarely print at.  Resolution when I zoom in is good enough.

Some of the scenes I shot in would have been challenging for most cell phones, like low light or portraits.

Here are some examples:

So what is my point?  Mostly that it is amazing what computational photography offers small sensor smart phones. I hope that Sony will start to integrate some of it into their own products.  Truth be told it was a real joy to shoot with a phone for me, a hardened photographer who used to laugh at people shooting with their camera phones.

Am I going to sell my kit?  No I won't, but it was an immensely satisfying exercise especially for a relatively cheap tech tool.  Add on a super wide and a 50mm equivalent lens and this would be an amazing camera to stuff in your pocket.

Mike

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony)
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AHM
AHM
AHM
AHM
AHM
CE3
CE3
AHM
CE3
AHM
CE3
AHM
AHM
AHM
CE3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow