TPM lens profiles and their recognition for AFMA+ strange behaviour.
I had some problems with the AF adjustment with my Sigma 150mm EX F2.8 macro on the D750/D500.
When I first bought the lens second hand, I checked for de-centering and AF accuracy...I was pleasantly surprised by the results wide open. I did the usual round of macro shots and was very happy with it's sharpness wide open and the general rendering and low fringing.
Then I used it for portrait using it wide open to F4, first session went well with lots of tack sharp eyes etc. the shoot after that, it didn't nail the eyes with variable back and front focus. I rechecked the lens and found the AF to be all over the place and I decided although a good macro lens using it for portraiture was a crap shoot with AF.
With the arrival of two new lenses I decided to make a DIY "lens Align"out of polystyrene panel, I tested the AF-P 18-55mm kit lens and the AF-S 50mm F1.8G that done.....I wanted to investigate the Sigma macro again.
Looking to adjust the AFMA I was confronted with "lens repertoire full" with the 12/12 profiles being taken up....... At one point I had put in a figure of -5 (pressed the OK button) took a shot, checked the AFMA and it was back to -15, a figure I had tried earlier......I checked again and the AFMA seemed all over the place.....when I looked at the list I found the macro to be listed four times all with different settings.... the many that I had already tried ......I removed the profiles and started from scratch, again more profiles appeared for the lens and also found two profiles for the Tamron 150-600mm G2.
Ahaha.......my problems were due to Sigma's and Tamron's lenses incomplete profiles and although the lens's FL and aperture were recognised correctly, the lens itself was only partially recognised. I removed the duplicated files and restarted again labelling all lenses with a lens number.
The problem seems to occur when changing the AFMA to a different setting, the camera no longer recognises the lens's profile mounted and promptly makes a new one alongside the existing one. (unless already numbered)
After trying to establish the correct setting which was needed, in this case 0 (-5 on the D500), I wiped the lens from the repertoire, switched off the camera, remounted the lens, checked the setting was still zero and labelled the lens in the repertoire.
I only have two above TPM lenses, so my AFMA lens profiles were mostly Nikon ones, but directly the Tamron and Sigma lenses entered the fray AF settings became illogical.
So if you use many or any TPM lenses, it's worth checking the AFMA lens repertoire to make sure the lens is numbered and listed, but only once!
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|7 months ago||1|
|7 months ago|
|7 months ago|