Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yanisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,303
Linux on USB stick

‚ÄčIn a recent very interesting darktable thread there is a post by sankos:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60908392

In it sankos wrote this about how he uses darktable:

Also, my Windows system is on SSD, whereas I keep Linux Mint on a very fast thumb drive (which is still slower than the SSD, so that might have an impact on how things work).

I have put Linux Mint Xfce 64-bit 18.3 on a USB 3.1 gen 1 stick using UNetBootin. I can boot into Linux and play around, but I don't want to install it on this computer. After reading what sankoswrote though I realized that I could boot up Linux anytime using the USB stick and just run that way. In the past I thought that Linux on a USB stick was only meant for checking out Linux (or for installing), but not for real use running from the USB stick. Today I tried it, but I discovered a problem. I booted Linux up, made some configuration changes, set my wifi password, etc. Then later I shutdown and then the next time I booted Linux it had lost all the changes I had made. How do I get it to save all of that stuff on the USB stick so that the next time I boot up it has it? And so that if I boot it up on a different computer I have all of my configurations already there?

Also, if I run Software Manager to get updates and install new stuff (such as darktable) how do I get it to save all of that stuff on the USB stick?

I want to run Linux from the USB stick and then access my data files (raw photo files, etc.) on a USB external drive. The same USB external drive can be accessed when I run Windows.

Anyone know?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow