Is the RX10 II my only option?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,010
Is the RX10 II my only option?

For quite a few years now, the original RX10 has been my concert camera. Since nearly all venues do not allow ILCs to normal ticket holders, I've needed to have a fixed lens with excellent telephoto and excellent light gathering at that telephoto end. The aperture at 24mm equiv means nothing to me. I'm shooting nearly everything between 100 and 200, occasionally cropping in farther. The huge strength of the RX10 is that the lens is still f/2.8 at the long end, something that doesn't appear to be true of its current rivals. Pure image quality seems like it hasn't drastically changed in the 1" category, and most of the current lenses (FZ2500, RX10 III/IV) leave me with at least a one stop disadvantage in light gathering.

The RX10 is a slow camera in many ways, and it can really struggle for focus during concerts especially when lighting gets chaotic. The video engine is very old, as is the JPEG engine, and it seems that the II improves all of these things. But I was hoping for a step forward in raw image quality, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get it. Am I missing anything?

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow