Struggling with lens kit for A7III

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richpjr Regular Member • Posts: 275
Struggling with lens kit for A7III

I have an A7III on preorder and am struggling with my lens kit to start. I'm switching platforms and am new to Sony so I don't have any firsthand experience, but have spent a lot of time looking around at reviews and reading forums. I shoot a variety of things (landscape, family gatherings, portraits) and have my first granddaughter on the way so I'm sure that will be a big part of what I am shooting (which I think leaves out manual focus lenses). I am also definitely interested in video as my Canon was pretty lacking and I'm excited to start doing that a bit more.

I definitely need a general purpose zoom and am leaning towards the 24-105 f4 lens. I had toyed with going the 24-70 f2.8 GM route, but decided the weight and cost were not worth it, especially if I put the extra money towards a prime lens or two. And that is what my delima is. A general prime for low light would be very nice. I can eventually pick up some other lenses to supplement these, but here are the options I have been toying with (trying to keep this in the 3k-ish range - less is better!):

This combo leaves me using the zoom lens between 25-85:
Sony 24-105 f4
Zeiss Batis 25
Sony 85 f1.8

This combo leaves me using the zoom lens for everything under 50 and is pushing my budget:
Sony 24-105 f4
Sony 50 f1.4
Sony 85 f1.8

This combo leaves me using the zoom lens for everything under 55 and is more budget friendly:
Sony 24-105 f4
Sony 55 f1.8
Sony 85 f1.8

What do you think?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow