Apart from people - What do you shoot with your 45 1.8 / 42.5 1.7?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Auf Reisen Regular Member • Posts: 232
Apart from people - What do you shoot with your 45 1.8 / 42.5 1.7?

I recently bought a used Oly 45 1.8 at a bargain. I knew I wanted to shoot more portraits of friends and family, and got the lens for that purpose. I also thought about using it with a macro attachment, as described here (1).

However, I found that for the kind of "portraits" I usually shoot - across a restaurant table or while walking - the lens is much too long and my 20/1.7 much better suited for the job. For more abstract details in nature or of everyday objects with very shallow depth of field, the minimum focusing distance of the 45 is also a tad too long. That can hopefully be mitigated with a macro adapter, but I was a bit disappointed.

Recently however, I was at a cultural event. There were many people in costume just buzzing about or on stage, and the lens really shone. It's superb for shooting candids across a small room, or for getting a closer look at performers on stage. And the image quality is fantastic.
Other than this, however, I struggle to find as many use cases for this gem as for my other lenses.

What do you use yours for?

(1) http://bigstreetguns.com/2016/04/shooting-macro-with-a-portrait-lens-olympus-45mm-f1-8-marumi-dhg200-and-raynox-dcr-250-working-in-unison/

Auf Reisen's gear list:Auf Reisen's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III
Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow