Why no built-in GPS except with D5300 and D5

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,940
Why no built-in GPS except with D5300 and D5

I can actually buy 3 Nikon cameras that have built-in GPS to automatically geotag image files. They are the Coolpix W400 that sells for $340, the D5300 that sells for $600, and the D5 that sells for $6500.

No such functionality is provided with the D610, D750, D500, or D850 cameras. Losing the commander flash would have been less of a hit if Nikon has provided built-in GPS.

But as it is I gain nothing of use to me for the loss of the built-in flash with its commander function to easily trigger an off-camera speedlight. Restricted Wifi communications that only works with a smartphone running Snapbridge is also of very little real use to me when shooting in the field or in the studio or at a client's location.

Unfortunately we are stuck with 3 Japanese companies as the dominant players in the camera market and no country is as slow to innovate and adopt new technology as the Japanese with their very rigid corporate culture.

-- hide signature --

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -- Herman Melville

Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow