Amps required to power a Nikon D1H

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
guswitte Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Amps required to power a Nikon D1H

Hello all, I have a question regarding output power requirements for an external battery pack powering my Nikon D1H and D1X. I got tired of the NiMH batteries dying after they sit for a few months, and still LOVE shooting these cameras and the image they create.

So I cut open an old Nikon pack and removed the old dead NiMH batteries, soldered off the positive and negative contacts, removed the charging port transistor, installed a DC to DC step up board, soldered that to an old USB plug, adjusted the Voltage up to 7.2V, put the battery pack back together, inserted it back into the camera - and then plugged it into an external power bank that has an output rating of 5.1V / 2A.

The results - the camera powers up, let's me check the screen and menu, meters, shows me images on the card, and does everything EXCEPT allow me to actually engage the shutter to snap a photo.

I suspect it's because the battery packs I have tried are 1 AMP and 2 AMP outputs, which may be too low to push the old work horse. My voltage seems fine.

My question to the community is - how many AMPS are needed to power these oldies but goodies. The bottom of the camera states 9V / 2.5A - is that all I need? The charger pushes something like 5 AMPS - so I am hoping someone who is more electronically included than I might be able to tell me the amp output required to power these cameras.

Thanks!

Nikon D1H Nikon D1X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow