12-60mm f3.5-5.6 vs 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 interesting differences.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spike29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,292
12-60mm f3.5-5.6 vs 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 interesting differences.

I was searching for a step up or expanding my lens choises and owning a 12-60 kit lens and the 14-140mmii it should be go wider or more tele or faster.

The go wider did ended up in a search for secondhand 7-14mm which where or still expensive or just not available. So i did give that a rest for now.

The go tele, hmm yes or no, i am not certain of the path to follow, go for just a 100-300mmii to slap on when needed or go for replacement of the 14-140mmii for instance the faster and more tele 50-200mm when this goes down in price. (a lot down...)

i decided to go faster at first because inside i hit to often 3200 Iso.

Even most reviews and maybe other users also stated that having a 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 wr kitlens the extra spending of the money on the 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 wr does not cover the benefits of the better lens. But after going forwards and backwards the 12-60mm range is a great city walkaround and museum coverage. It is to short for nature if something is sitting is a tree or running away for you but for other things its fine. And 2/3 stop faster across the 12-60mm range could be just enough.

So i went for it and i am surprised that it's not only more weight, size and a "empty wallet" for only 2/3 stop faster like a lot are stating. It is a lot more sharper and has more resolvingpower/detail then the kit lens. Shooting a test setup against each other doesn't revealed this but outside in the field it did. Maybe DxO is a part of this because they spent more time on the Leica Elmarit then the Lumix for there processing application.

(or i am just lucky and got a very good sample)

A other thing; shooting through the tree's aiming up the CA and flaring is nearly not present. Even towards the sun doesn't matter much. in side shooting someone who is standing in front of a window (much more light) is normaly a "no go" but after processing in DxO and levelling exposure the stil available detail out the shadowed face is positive surprising.

its also parfocal, so for video also a plus, you can zoom without refocussing.

I am not reviewing because i am just user and a amateur in many ways but the 12-60mm kitlens is a good lens and excellent considering its price as a givenaway by body kit, but saying the extra cost of the 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 isn't worth the upgrade, is a bit cutting corners imo.

edit: yes i wrote earlier i didn't think a 500 euro extra does cover the benefits but after shooting outside i changed my mind.0

-- hide signature --

knowledge is addictive, every time i get some i want more.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If i can remember 1/1000 of everything i learned/read in the past i will be happy as a monky with........)

spike29's gear list:spike29's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow