Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - a good one

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,070
Pentax HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE - a good one

This lens, with its electromagnetic diaphragm control, salvages my aperture block failed K-S2 body, making it useful again, albeit only with this lens. The question is whether this one lens makes it a worthwhile investment. I've decided yes, very much so.

I wasted no time getting it out of the shipping box and onto the street, even in a light rain. I have full confidence in Pentax WR, and had not a second thought about rain.

Not wanting to get too wet myself, however, I only did some quick test shots, at the zoom ends, hand held. At 55mm:

Same topic, at 300mm:

I also did some focus tests, both near and distant:

Focus at end of step

Focus on number 226

I also took a couple of pictures using the K-S2 A-HDR setting on the mode dial, which I, for one, am fond of for certain topics that are rather pedestrian unless removed a half step or so from realism. I have a nice collection of K-S2 A-HDR's that I gathered before the aperture block failed, so I am glad to have this capability back again.

The lens is very lightweight, yet it seems built like a tank. No wobble at all in those long extension tubes, no doubt aided by the nice weather seals. The retractable feature in the lens design makes it a short stow when off the camera, fitting in the typical small size lens case:

Tamrac small sized lens pouch.

And, as advertised, the K-3 software update 1.30 enables electromagnetic diaphragm control on that camera also.  I checked it out.  It works.  Thank you, Pentax, for this nice lens.

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +1 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow