New D850 and Tamron 24-70 G2 visit Battleship Texas

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greenmanphoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,637
New D850 and Tamron 24-70 G2 visit Battleship Texas

All,

Yesterday, I picked up a new D850 and a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC G2 on my way down to La Porte, TX, to stay overnight onboard the Battleship Texas on a Scout trip. Of course, I took ALL of the photos there with the D850, and MOST of them with the Tamron lens. I did take a few with my Sigma 10-20 f3.5 in DX mode, since I wanted/needed to get really wide, and I don't have anything for FX that goes as wide as I wanted and needed.

These are some shots from that trip, some taken at night on Friday, and some during the day on Saturday.

This was handheld, braced with elbows on top of a handrail for the gangplank to come aboard the ship. I left it without any noise reduction applied, and only a slight bit of other adjustments.

With the 10-20 lens. This is one of the anti-aircraft weapons of the ship, a set of double-barrel twin turret 40mm guns.

Taken from underneath those same guns as above.

The stern of the ship, showing Numbers 4 and 5 14-inch gun turrets. When she was commissioned in 1914, these guns (a total of 10 of them) made her the most powerful ship on the seas! She served until April, 1948, when she was decommissioned and the State of Texas acquired her. She had one war-time casualty when a shell exploded inside the bridge and killed helmsman Chris Christensen and injured another 12. A second shell hit, as well, but did not explode. It went unnoticed until approximately six hours later, after it was found inside a warrant officer's quarters. She fought in WWI and WWII, supporting attacks on Normandy Beach, Cherbourg (where she was hit as described above), Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and Morocco in Northern Africa.

The view off the bow from underneath Number 1 turret, looking across the anchor chains towards the San Jacinto Battleground Memorial.  Note the ensign flying on the pole there. It has two oddities to it, from what you would think: 1) it is only the field of stars, and is missing the red and white stripes; and 2) it has only 48 stars, as there were only 48 states in the Union when she was retired and decommissioned in April, 1948.

The view from outside the covered and armored pilothouse, looking over Numbers 1 and 2 gun turrets, the anchor chains, and out towards the battleground memorial.

Looking towards the stern of the ship, staring down the twin barrels of Numbers 1 and 2 gun turrets, with 4 of the 10 14-inch guns.

Another shot of the above, with quite so much leading lines of the chains, and a more intimidating view of the gun turrets.

Following the starboard side anchor chain up towards the Numbers 1 and 2 gun turrets and the bridge and superstructure. The woman in the bright pink shirt is the mother of one of the Scouts, and I didn't really have the time to ask her to move. We were the only people onboard the ship as tourists at this time, and I mostly had pretty open shots.

Note that all of the shots were handheld except for the nighttime shots, with the one exception of the first photo shared. I had Auto ISO set for some of the time, and manually set the ISO for other shots. Shutter speed and aperture were set manually.

Thanks,

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +15 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D850 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow