Sony a7 III Vs. Nikon D5

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
eastvillager Senior Member • Posts: 1,332
Sony a7 III Vs. Nikon D5

Curious if anyone has made the switch to this camera or an A9 and their experiences. I work as a freelance photojournalist for a newspaper so I own my equipment. I shoot with a D5 and D4 and 24-120 F4 and 70-200 2.8. I shoot in the court most of the time. Lowlight and long lens and I need fast focus lock and quick bursts.The D5 is great and I love it, but its a beast. The D4 is long in the tooth and as far as Im concerned not in the D5's league and I just use it with short lenses and flash. I have a RX1 and RX100 and love the Sony product but haven't moved into an interchangeable system. Can the Sony a7 III give me the same results as the D5 or am I asking too much. I'd like to shed some weight. The A9 is just too expensive at this point compared to the Sony a7 III. My camera bag between the two and a flash is quite heavy and at almost 70 Im not getting any younger and could use the weight loss to keep my mobility. I like the idea of built in WIFI to quickly send some frames to my phone and then email. Will miss the built in mic for quick name captions. Live view on the D5 is useless. I would like to use it more if it works well in other words fast. Frankly besides the weight its quiet mode is also most important. Thoughts.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Sony a7 III Sony a9 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow