Oly 25mm f/1.8 vs. f/1.2: Worth cost difference?

Started Feb 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
jwilliams Senior Member • Posts: 2,931
I see ...

Lowell Herr wrote:

I'm looking for a prime lens for "street photography" or a good "walk-around" lens. High quality images are important. I'm looking at the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 at $325 and the Olympus 25mm f/1.2 at $1200. Is the price difference worth it? I will be using this on the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

A few times a year I take hundreds of shots of young children in conditions where the ambient light is very poor, but prefer not to use a flash. This is one reason why I'm leaning toward the more expensive and faster lens. I do need automatic focus so I eliminated the very fast Voigtlander lenses. I think Voigtlander are all manual focus, but could be mistaken.

Other recommendations are also welcome. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lowell

you also have Canon gear and a 5D MKII. If you want a low light lens, get a Sigma 50 1.4 for that. Yes it is big, but the Oly 1.2 isn't exactly small and light. You already have the Oly 25 1.8 (which I find mine to be excellent). Use the Oly 25 1.8 when 'walking about' and when you need serious low light capability, the 5D MK II and Sigma. That setup is far superior to the OLY 1.2 for low light and you'll spend less money. Win win.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow