Camera sensor architecture: does Fuji work in a similar fashion?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 8,033
Camera sensor architecture: does Fuji work in a similar fashion?

A tad more complicated maybe but I would just LOVE to see a similar graph for Fuji cameras e.g. the X-T1 versus the X-Pro2/T2/H1(if there is a difference at all):

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3389926460/sony-a7-iii-dynamic-range-and-high-iso-improve-over-its-predecessor

There are a few oddities in the graph as it seems that it would actually be better NOT to use auto-ISO where you could potentially hit an ISO640 value - according to this article a value that is worse than the sensor at ISO800.

Also - and this is something I would be REALLY interested in:

• The drop in dynamic range when the compressed RAW is selected.
  • For those who know - or have a theory/can point to a link regarding these issues - I have a couple of questions:
  • Does the FUJI 24Mpx drop the bit-rate to 12-bit when the compressed format is chosen?
  • Is the curve more linear on the Fuji sensor, which could possibly mean a larger loss of DR past ISO800
  • How does DR200/400 change this graph?
  • The amplification gain at the second "base" ISO, could this also be something of interest for the rumoured X-T3? Now THIS could be really interesting! I shoot high DR often and would rate an improvement here higher than IBIS (been there, done that...)

Thanks for your input!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +3 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow