Focus peaking broken?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimAustin Regular Member • Posts: 146
Focus peaking broken?

Hi folks. I'm a fairly new Sony owner. I recently got a Zeiss Loxia lens--the 21mm--so I'm returning to manual focusing for the first time in a while. I'll keep it short: I wonder if focus peaking is working as it should. Take a look at the image below of the lcd of my a7rIII, taken with my iPhone:

Focus peaking; focus is @ 5 feet

This is a 21mm lens, with focus set at about 5 feet. As you can see, aperture is f/2.8. According to a standard depth-of-field calculator, anything between about 3'11" and 6'11 should be in focus. (Douvos DoF-Pro, focus spot set to 30µm.) Notice that there's yellow peaking on the edge of the speaker (about 9 feet away), the microwave in the kitchen (probably 25 feet away), the edge of the wall above the speaker (probably 15 feet away), table and chair legs (including the far one, which is 9-10 feet away). Peaking is set to low. 
Needless to say, those things are NOT in focus:

1:1 crop in a peaking area.

Am I doing something wrong? Thinking about it wrong? Is my camera broken? How could this possibly be a useful focus tool?

Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow