Jupiter-8 50mm f/2 lens IQ on APS-C sensor

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cactusf3ar
cactusf3ar New Member • Posts: 22
Jupiter-8 50mm f/2 lens IQ on APS-C sensor

Hi! I'm the proud new owner of a Jupiter-8 FSU lens, probably model PT3100 according to sovietcams.com. Currently using it on a Fujifilm XT20.

I love the vintage, low-contrast look and dreamy bokeh that this lens provides and have generally enjoyed shooting it. However, judging my the results posted around on Flickr and other such places, I believe that my copy of the lens seems *a bit* soft wide open at f/2. I know there could be copy variation, but I'm not yet sure if this is to blame.

For starters, it seems a lot of people adapting this lens are doing so on full-frame sensors. It makes sense that this might yield a sharper image. Maybe the lens is just not a great performer on an APS-C sensor? Also, I wonder if people showing off those Jupiter-8 images are sharpening the images to hell in post...

The lens is extra soft at f/2, but the image is aesthetically pleasing, and I suppose usable if you don't zoom or crop at all. It sharpens up remarkably by f/5.6, and f/8.

What I want to know is, for others using this lens on an APS-C camera, do my results look typical? Or should I try to find a better copy of the lens? I am using one of the later editions, a black model. I have heard that the earlier silver ones were sharper. Anyway, if you have any experience with this lens on APS-C, please look at my photos below (SOOC jpegs) and tell me if the lens performs better or worse for you! Thanks!

Focused on the clock hands

Focused on the dandelions in the foreground

cactusf3ar's gear list:cactusf3ar's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow