GX7ii: Macro with simple DIY parts

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 685
GX7ii: Macro with simple DIY parts

In the past years I have made an eyepiece adapter for the Powershot S100 (deceased last week) and after purchase of the G7X I wanted to continue using this adapter, but the outer ring is larger, so I glued an extra 58mm ring around the adapter and it works again on the G7X and the inner barrel is large enough that the lens can pop put without any resistance to prevent damage.

But hobbying with some more PVC plumbing parts and some old lenses of a dismantled old 7x50 binocular in my hobby box, I made an adapter from the objective lens which allows to take pictures twice as close as originally and an old eyepiece lens even four times (but with strong vignetting). Image quality is still rather good.

Original, fully zoomed in, as close as possible.

The old 50mm bino objective.

Taken with the 50mm objective, fully zoomed in, as close as possible.

The eyepiece of the binos which is actually too small which results in strong vignetting, but yet sharp images.

With the (vignetting) eyepiece, fully zoomed in, bottom ruler.

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Canon PowerShot G7 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow