The futility of the M43 FF debate Locked

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 7,134
The futility of the M43 FF debate

Reading through the M43 forum of late, it seems that comparison of M43 to FF has become a bit of an obsession.

Thread after thread comparing the two systems with all those studio comparison shots cherry picked to make one or other system the winner. It has all become a bit boring apart from the mayhem that the replies cause.

All those 200% enlargements, all that horrific noise. Shots compared at I000 million ISO, and so on and soforth.

What seems to be absent from the debate is what we actually do with our pictures and what level of quality we actually need to show great results within the context of end use.

The photo below was used for an A2 poster in an exhibition. It is a 1600ISO M43 shot. The end users were very pleased with the results. So M43 even at 1600 is fine for quite large prints. Remember M43 now gives us at base ISO the same quality as 120MF film gave us.

Most of my photography ends up on the WWW on my blog. M43 is overkill for this use.
To keep a permanent record of my photos I find Blurb books the ideal solution; the modern version of the old photo album. Again, M43 is overkill as was my LX100 that I used for my Crostolo project.

My screensaver shot looks great, I can see the blades of grass, the monitor resolution is just a few MP again M43 is overkill.

I think my end use is quite typical, how many people print at all these days, and if you do M43 can be printed quite large. Heck I printed to AO 6MP shots taken with my ancient D70 and they were fine at the right viewing distance.

Back to the comparisons, Sure FF has better theoretical output, it is not worth even debating. But who needs all that FF resolution and lower noise? Not many I believe.

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Nikon D70 Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Yxa
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Yxa
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow