Amount of light required by camera

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stellita884 New Member • Posts: 1
Amount of light required by camera

Hi everyone

I am fairly new to photography and I thought I'd join this forum hoping that someone can advise on something I cannot figure out.

Before switching DSLR I had a Nikon d5300. I used it with a Sigma lens 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC

I then bought my new DSLR which is a Nikon d7200 and I use it with the same lens, have not switched the lens.

I do mainly landscape photography (shutter speed doesn't matter to me unless I'm doing something specific) when I travel and I don't use a tripod because most of the times I cannot take it with me.

Now, ever since switching from the d5300 to the d7200 I've noticed a difference in terms of amount of light required by the d7200 to take the same shot compared to the d5300.

So same shot, let's say cloudy , photo of a building in the city, same time of the day I used to set the d5300 as (fully manual):

WB: cloudy

AF-S

single area focus mode

ISO: 200

Aperture: F11

shutter speed: the camera would tell me it was balanced at 100 (cannot recall the exact value but around this)

Same shot, same exact scene, same building (in front of my house) and same settings with the d7200 and I noticed that the camera is giving me a balance at 50 shutter speed!

Now this has happened several time, I know that obviously the cameras are different and sensors are different but how is it possible that the d7220 is requesting a higher amount of light to take the same shot compared to the d5300? Am I going crazy?

No one can figure it out, not even my photography teacher. Does anyone here have any idea of what's going on and how it can be fixed (if possible)? With the Nikon d5300 I never needed a tripod for when I used to go around like a city or European capital. This camera seems that is forcing me to carry a tripod everywhere. I know it's the bets way but sometimes it's really not possible to carry it.

thanks!!

Stella

Nikon D5300 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow