5D mark IV + C40mm 2.8 STM - only 31 crosstype AF points

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
gimp_dad Senior Member • Posts: 1,233
Re: 5D mark IV + C40mm 2.8 STM - only 31 crosstype AF points

Marquee wrote:

yoshki wrote:

Hi, I got my 5D4 few days ago and was testing it with all my lenses and it worked perfectly fine. I have set it to use only 41-crosstype AF points. When I've attached my travel lens Canon 40mm 2.8 STM (pancake) it is showing only 31-crosstype AF points, it's not showing 5 ones on the very left and very right. I can't fint in Google what may be causing this issue. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with lens itself rather than with body as when I switch back to any other lens it shows 41-crosstype AF points again. Any thoughts? I will upgrafe firmware for this lens but for now it's all.

Here you can see how it looks like https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjw1lsxzrav5x7z/InShot_20180316_091849243.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance for any help. It's not a big issue but it bothers me a little

Cheers...Adam

The 40mm F2.8 STM is a Group D lens (page 116 of the manual) and as such only the inner column of the potentially higher precision point outer columns qualifies to be selected under the cross type criteria you set. I appreciate the lens is an F2.8 lens but the combination is working as Canon suggests it would.

One additional comment to add to this. The 40/2.8STM vignettes quite a bit when wide open.  This may be responsible for the limitations on the outer column AF precision.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow