ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ctlow
ctlow Contributing Member • Posts: 591
C&C Family Portrait

With the family's permission:

my favourite

family's favourite

I find them good, al lot better than the mythical "Uncle Bob" (my term for the generic amateur photographer we all know) ... but not good enough.

Technicalities:

1/ This was a really smiley group. Trying to get them to look a bit less elated suddenly transformed it into a funeral, so I think that I prefer a certain grouping but they prefer the looser one because of the nicer smiles. Honestly, that's about the only shot with more moderate smiles. This took an hour, with a short break, using various groupings and sub-groupings.

2/ Lighting: this was on location, and I didn't use my umbrella, but bounced two flashes, one on each side, in between the camera and the people, back towards me and up off the white ceiling. Ambient light made an insignificant contribution. This is an optically-controlled remote-flash system, on manual, just experimenting until I got it about where I liked it, with some modelling,

3/ and then adjusted in post.

4/ The background was a plain brown wall, but with a few light switches, etc., and no dedicated BG light, so in both of these I have simply replaced it entirely in post, with a gradient. The first one uses approximately the wall colour and the grey in the other is 100% de novo.

5/ The room was a bit too small, but it was what we had to work with - I would have liked to get a bit further back.

6/ I just set my camera to the "Flash" WB setting.

7/ They're both at f/5.6, but in 35 mm camera terms that would be the DoF of f/11, I believe (mFT sensor, 2x crop factor). That's roughly this lens's "sweet spot".

(If you wish, here is a sampling of some of my other recent portrait work.)

I am open to suggestions for improvement, at the shoot or in editing! Thanks to all.

-- hide signature --

Charles
ctLow Photog

ctlow's gear list:ctlow's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow