A7 III: AF better than MF?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tergo New Member • Posts: 11
A7 III: AF better than MF?

Hey everyone,

I am currently considering buying the new A7 III as my first FF camera and will be using it to do photo and video (pretty much 50:50). Now, from what I've seen so far, I am really impressed with the autofocus, which may even be interesting during video recordings. So far I had to rely on manual focus (Panasonic user), but my question now is:

May the autofocus during video of the A7 III (or A9, in this regard they are the same, right?) even make manual focus in daylight obsolete? I really doubt it does, but with eye and face detection and accurate Touchtofocus, where is the advantage of manual focus?

The reason I'm asking is: I'm looking for lenses for the A7 III and while I would typically aim for something like the Sigma Art series for fast primes and great image quality, I find myself rather considering native lenses, just for the sake of autofocus.  Keep in mind that I'm mostly talking about AF during video. Formerly I had to do manual focus because the AFC with Panasonic cameras hunts and gives it a very strange look. But with the A7 III Video autofocus could work reliably in 90% of the time?

Thank you

Tergo's gear list:Tergo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
Sony a7 III Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow