Size and price FF, APSc, 4/3, 1" and reach for birds (BIF)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pwmoree
pwmoree Regular Member • Posts: 470
Size and price FF, APSc, 4/3, 1" and reach for birds (BIF)

Very happy with my A6500 and the 70-300 OSS for bird work. As I like other subjects also I am not thinking of changing gear but have thoughts about the future of BIF shooting.

I do understand that an FF cam with a 100-400 lens weighs only a bit more than an APSc with the same lens (and there are no special 300 to 400 mm lenses for APSc sensors). So the advantage is in the additional "crop" reach. In DOF and DR you may only see difference with succesful close up birds and not (or not noticable for me anyway) with the shots of a bird in flight at 20- 50 meters (say 60-150 ft).

The next step is a 4/3 machine. The advantage is even more "crop" reach AND the special lenses made for this system. So my camera shop says that if I really like birds, sell the Sony and buy the Olympus OM D EM II with a 300mm zoom. On the internet there are many fantastic shots of BIF with this set that bears out the validity of that advice.

An even smaller sensor of 1" gives us the options of an almost pocketable cameras. The greater DOF at a wide open aperture does not matter for the BIFs ( it could be even considered an advantage). The smaller sensor gives you even more "crop" reach.

Will future sensor quality improvements (better DR etc.) therefore lead to the smaller sensor camera as the ideal BIF machine in the future? Or am I overlooking something?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

Peter

pwmoree's gear list:pwmoree's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +3 more
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow