D750 vs. D7200

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
bjn70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,004
D750 vs. D7200

I bought a D7200 last year then lost it in an accident.  Today I got a D750 to replace it.  My first images didn't impress, looking through past images I found something that I could get a close comparison between the 2 bodies.  On the D7200 I was using a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-stabilized, on the D750 I was using a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC.  These sample photos are 100% crops of JPGs straight out of the camera.  Both are ISO 100, f8.  The D7200 was at 36mm, the D750 at 50mm, so those are almost equivalent.  I think the D7200 is a bit sharper but either way they are pretty close.  Tell me what you think.  (D7200 is first, D750 second)

Other observations- everything bought used or refurb, the FF combo cost almost twice what the DX combo cost.  The 24-70 lens is very big and heavy compared to anything I've had for my DX body.  It will take a lot to get used to it.

Indoors I was able to get better images with the FF combo.  Maybe my 17-50 wasn't sharp near wide open, but I could go ISO 3200 and nearly wide open on the D750 and easily get indoor shots that were relatively sharp which I've really struggled with in the past with the D7200.  Is this improved success worth the cost?  I'm still not sure I'm happy with the Tamron 24-70, if I did it over I might pick something else.  Skin tones seem smoother with the FF.  That's something I've read from other people.  Under good light the D7200 would give sharp pictures of people but the skin never looked as good as I wanted.

So wedding/event photography, portraits, definitely there is an advantage to FF.  Other types of photography it is either a toss up or the edge might go to DX.  If I could get a D750 without the AA filter I think I would like that better.  Maybe I need to try a D810.

Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow