7 Months With The FZ80

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
New_Raj
New_Raj Contributing Member • Posts: 527
7 Months With The FZ80

I really had no idea what I was getting into when I purchased my FZ80. Sure I read the reviews, but I was so naive that I looked at the FZ80 photos on this forum taken by ANAYV, MelRuh and Sherman Levine and thought that was just a typical result and said to myself "Wow, that is a great camera and relatively inexpensive, I'm going to get it." Now it's true, it is a great little camera and can produce some wonderful photos, but I've found that in order to get the quality looking photos I saw posted by the above mentioned forum members requires some time and the judicious use of PP.

Here is a quick example from today. It was about 5:30PM and the lighting was far from optimal when I caught site of a Cooper's Hawk flying into a tree about 50 meters away. I took out my FZ80 and zoomed to 1200 mm (maximum optical). The Hawk was partially obscured by some small branches but the FZ80 does a very nice job with focus set to AFS and using a very small spot size to get through the branches and focus on the Hawk. I fired off a series of shots in medium burst mode and below is the best of the bunch SOOC jpg. Handheld, P Mode, 1/60sec, ISO 400.

SOOC jpg and not very appealing.

Now it was time for some PP magic. First a quick pass through Faststone to Auto-Adjust Colors. Now a quick run through Neat Image to sharpen some detail and reduce noise. Finally, several minutes in Affinity Photo for cropping and fine-tuning including a touch of a high-pass filter and unsharp mask only on the Hawk for additional clarity as well as using the dodge brush on the eye to make it pop. Now a quick run through a custom adjustment filter using Color Efex Pro 4 from the Nik collection, tweak the lighting, levels, contrast and I'm done.

Still a bit obscured but the fact that the eye and beak are visible plus the overall environment IMHO makes this a satisfying photo that all started with a relatively bland shot.

It becomes clearer to me each day the vast number of moving parts required in the equation to produce a satisfying photograph. 7 months in and I'm still liking the FZ80.

-- hide signature --
 New_Raj's gear list:New_Raj's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Sony RX10 IV Nik Color Efex Pro FastStone Image Viewer +1 more
Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow